agraffes on - agraffes off

Phillip L Ford fordpiano@lycos.com
Tue, 11 Dec 2001 18:47:59 0000

On Tue, 11 Dec 2001 14:32:36
 John Delacour wrote:
> I rebuild pianos with agraffes and design them without.

If you don't mind me asking, how do you terminate the strings in your design?

>>   This belongs up on the museum shelf right next to the process of
>>putting little pieces of paper under the keys to level them.
>
>...the need for which practice is also eliminated in my keyboard design.

Now that I would like to see.

>>   Why not just drill through the plate flange and have an agraffe
>>with a shank long enough to accept a nut on the other side of the
>>flange?
>
>So you have to countersink the plate on the underside with a bore
>wide enough to accept the tube spanner as well as the nut you mean?

There are types of nuts other than hex nuts that must be tightened with a box
wrench or a socket.  There's no reason for the nut to be larger than the diameter
of the agraffe base.

>Or just raise the entrance height 5mm and the set strike point in the
>treble to 1/6 or something to allow for this masterpiece of Teutonic
>engineering?

Yes, you might have a problem in the high treble.  I wasn't considering agraffes
all the way to the top.  I guess this would make it Teutonic engineering since
we don't normally see that on American pianos.

>That's how August Förster fitted their tapering wrestpins in their
>solid cast-iron wrestplank.  Great idea!  Wonder why everyone doesn't
>do it.
>
>JD

Good question.

Phil F