Key Bushings & Hot Hide Glue

Jon Ralinovsky ralinoj@muohio.edu
Tue, 11 Dec 2001 12:31:35 -0500

Terry,
I'm glad your bushing job went so well!  Fun, isn't it?

>Just reporting in following my first key bushing job and use of hot hide
>glue! Just started yesterday installing the first few keys (testing for felt
>punching thickness, new action regulation, etc.). WOW! I used the Bill
>Spurlock method and materials to do the bushings. Wowie Zowie! These keys
>fit perfectly.
>
>I had several key bushing jobs done locally, with ho-hum results - bushings
>too tight (needed MAJOR easing) and little wings hanging off the key bottom
>causing irregular dip characteristics (needed a lot of trimming, etc.). My

My suggestion to take care of the 'little wings' is to run the keys
over your router table with a 3/8" bit, taking out a chunk right over
the front rail mortise.  This gives a space for the bushing cloth to
sit without interfering with key dip.  If you look at most pianos
made in the last 10 years or so, they all have this feature - Yamaha
and Kawai have been doing it for some time.  It only takes a few
minutes to run all the keys through, although you have to change the
fence setting going from the sharps to the naturals.

Respectfully,
Jon

Jon Ralinovsky
Piano Technician