Temperament, A pianist responds, and a tuner too

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Tue, 11 Dec 2001 09:55:32 EST

In a message dated 12/11/01 8:04:01 AM Central Standard Time,=20
remoody@midstatesd.net (Richard Moody) writes:

> The other problem with the argument for HT's is that most people listening
> to a piano in an HT don't even know they are hearing an HT.  So how can
> they hear a "different shading for each key"  or even the "character of th=
> keys"  ?  And if the HT's do bring out a "different shading" for each key
> can you tell us anything specific about that shading for each key and whic=
> HT does this?
>     But first things first.  If HT's have such effect on piano music, can
> you pick out a recording of the Beethoven sonatas that is in HT from those
> in ET?  If so we can go from there.   Sooner or later it might be
> .

The problem with ET is that pianists have learned *not to listen* to what=20
they are playing.  It seems to me that many people assume that every piano=20
tuning that is done is either a perfect ET or an unusable HT.  R. Moody=20
presented a modern composer with 1/4 Meantone and seemed a little surprised=20
that it was rejected.  What else would be expected from a choice of HT at th=
e=20
complete opposite end of the spectrum from ET?

In Bob Hohf's editorial this month, he implies that only ET is the acceptabl=
e=20
way to tune a piano because with *any* HT, the piano will be "unplayable", t=
o=20
use the very word he used.  What about all of the pianos that are tuned in=20
*Reverse Well* without either the tuner nor the customer being aware of it?=20=
=20
Do we expect people and scientists to be writing about that?  It seems to me=
=20
that I am the only person who has ever dared to but that doesn't mean it=20
isn't happening.  I can assure you all that it is very pervasive.  And no, I=
=20
don't want to do any scientific study or documentation of it.  I have alread=
y=20
done too much as it is.

How often do any of you readers suppose that pianists are using a piano that=
=20
is in something less than an ideally tuned piano in a perfect ET?  This woul=
d=20
normally be a good case for the *scientific method* that was proposed.  Is i=
t=20
99% of the time?  Is it even 50% of the time?  Whatever the answer may be, i=
t=20
means that pianisits, other musicians and listeners are exposed to a very=20
wide, uncontrolled variety of erratic "color" if we accept the premise that=20
color itself is merely the rate of beating in intervals.

It is well known that in the past, "color" was not dissected as it is today=20
in the rate of beating of the Rapidly Beating Intervals but in the *whole=20
sound* (=E0 la Virgil Smith) of triads and other chords.  This means that th=
e=20
perception of color was more subconscious than anything else.  There is=20
plenty of documentation of descriptions of tone color in the books written=20
about HT's.

I like the idea of the blind test that R. Moody proposes but it will probabl=
y=20
not come to pass for the simple reason that it pits one PTG Member against=20
another.  The majority of PTG Members still adhere to the idea that ET is th=
e=20
one and only way to tune a piano and this will probably continue.  Any kind=20
of *contest* will inevitably have some kind of mild HT resulting as the=20
"winner".  It happens every time.  All this would do is create internal=20
strife, so PTG as an organization is not at all interested and for good=20
reason.

I submit that the perceptions that people have about the different ways=20
pianos are tuned be left to the choices people make *artistically* rather=20
than pure science.  That is what I do.  My EBVT is designed to remain within=
=20
the bounds of what the *contemporary ear* (taste in musical perception) will=
=20
accept based upon my own sense of musicianship and the feedback from the=20
people I tune for.  I consider this to be my prerogative as a professional=20
and as such, I will not accept orders from any other technician as to how I=20
should or should not tune a piano.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin
 <A HREF=3D"http://www.billbremmer.com/">Click here: -=3Dw w w . b i l l b r=