agraffes on - agraffes off

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Tue, 11 Dec 2001 06:32:39 -0600

>Ron,
>I'll just ignore all of your questions and pose one of my own, since you
>mentioned
>the names of two people that are designing their own pianos.  Why does this
>archaic
>practice persist to this day?

What, designing their own pianos? <G>

> Why not just
>drill through the plate flange and have an agraffe with a shank long enough
>to accept
>a nut on the other side of the flange?  No removing and reinstalling.  All
>the agraffes
>come out at the same height.

They'll only all come out to the same height if the spot facing in the
plate is cut to the same plane. That part's no different from the current
method. Barrie's reasons cover the rest pretty well except for one more
tiny detail. It's the old ones we're rebuilding, and if your proposed
agraffe went into universal production this afternoon, it would likely be a
while before we started seeing them in the shop and wallowing in the luxury
and ease of changing agraffe sets. That last little detail is pretty much
why I asked the questions.

Ron N