double-wound strings

Tvak@AOL.COM Tvak@AOL.COM
Mon, 10 Dec 2001 21:58:16 EST

In a message dated 12/10/01 5:57:51 PM, JD@Pianomaker.co.uk writes:

<< Twisting a string that has gone dull either simply masks the dullness
and introduces all sorts of odd noises or else kills the string dead. >>

I thought that this was standard procedure with bass strings which were tubby
and without sustain or overtone content.  In fact, I've tried it and have
seen a marked improvement in the tone and sustain time of the strings.  Even
if it's just masking the dullness, it still sounds better than it did
unmasked.  What I'm not sure of is whether this change will be permanent.
Perhaps the strings will go dead again, is that what you mean by killing the
string?  I just twisted a 5 foot Kimball in the fall...I hope it still sounds
good when I come back in the spring!

Tom Sivak