Polyurethane Finishes on pianos

Jon Page jonpage@mediaone.net
Mon, 10 Dec 2001 21:11:25 -0500

At 01:10 PM 12/10/2001 -0800, you wrote:
>Just kind of wondering-
>
>Has anyone ever experimented with refinishing pianos with a polyurethane
>type finish?  I was browsing the finishing department at my local Home
>Depot when a display sample caught my eye.  You know, those little samples
>of wood that have had brand "x" applied to show you what the product looks
>like.  I have to admit some of them looked pretty darn good.  One of them
>was a "crystal clear" variety which was very smooth and uniform and was
>quite heavy and durable.  It looked virtually identical to a coat
>of  clear Polyester.  It is also available in a satin version.  I would
>guess that a coloring powder could be added for an ebony finish.  The
>container also says that it can be applied by a sprayer.  All of this
>would SUGGEST that you you could apply a "simulated polyester finish",
>(for lack of a better term), for a more modern look on an old piano.  The
>questions are: 1.  Will it last 50 years?  2.  Is it practical to refinish
>a piano this way or would you spend three months of your life sanding,
>rubbing, and polishing?
>
>Rob Goodale, RPT
>Las Vegas, NV

I can't attest to the hardness of that material but any finish will take
elbow grease to rub out.
As far as the satin coating, don't build up the finish with a satin. The
flattening agent will cloud the finish.
Build up the surface with clear gloss and apply the satin on the final two
or three coats.

But if you're looking for a finish which is easy to apply and is easy to
rub out and is tough as nails
I highly recommend PianoLac available from Arthur
Grudko.  mailto:Gutlo@bestweb.net
The black is balck, black; it matches the old black lacquer and
polyester.  Buffs to a high gloss too.

Regards,

Jon Page,   piano technician
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.