Polyurethane Finishes on pianos

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Mon, 10 Dec 2001 17:11:17 -0500

Well, I think a big question here is just what is brand "x" clear finish. I
think we need to know a little more about it to even make any guesses. Do
you get any ginsu knives and maybe a juicer with it? (just kidding)

As to refinishing a piano with an existing polyurethane finish - if the
polyurethane finish has good adhesion to the wood beneath, it makes an
excellent base for virtually any coating. You can even use the real hard
two-part polyurethane finishes, or water base laquer, or regular laquer  or
virtually anything. (I wonder if the solvents in nitrocellulous laquer might
melt the poly a bit - and cause a problem???? Probably not - but I don't
know.) But the key is the condition of the poly finish. If it is cracked -
look out! At a minimum you will need to do some major epoxy repairs for
every crack (see West System technical papers for poly repair procedures at:
www.westsystem.com). If it has the spider-web type cracks - lots of little
ones - forget it. Your new finish will be cracked just like the poly in no
time.

When thinking about a poly finish, think about a fiberglass boat, or a
Corvette (at least the old ones). Except for the glass matting below the
surface, the polyurethane at the surface is very similar - whatever you can
do to your 'Vette, you can do to your piano - not that you would necessarily
want to. I've seen some wild paint jobs on 'Vettes that might raise an
eyebrow or two if applied to a piano.

Regarding whether applying a polyester finish might be as easy or easier
than laquer - when a fiberglass boat or a Corvette turn a new color, it
ain't from an application of polyester - it will be spray painted with some
type of paint - and for a good reason!

Thar's my two cents worth.

Terry Farrell