Polyurethane Finishes on pianos

Robert Goodale rrg@unlv.edu
Mon, 10 Dec 2001 13:10:44 -0800

Just kind of wondering-

Has anyone ever experimented with refinishing pianos with a polyurethane
type finish?  I was browsing the finishing department at my local Home
Depot when a display sample caught my eye.  You know, those little
samples of wood that have had brand "x" applied to show you what the
product looks like.  I have to admit some of them looked pretty darn
good.  One of them was a "crystal clear" variety which was very smooth
and uniform and was quite heavy and durable.  It looked virtually
identical to a coat of  clear Polyester.  It is also available in a
satin version.  I would guess that a coloring powder could be added for
an ebony finish.  The container also says that it can be applied by a
sprayer.  All of this would SUGGEST that you you could apply a
"simulated polyester finish", (for lack of a better term), for a more
modern look on an old piano.  The questions are: 1.  Will it last 50
years?  2.  Is it practical to refinish a piano this way or would you
spend three months of your life sanding, rubbing, and polishing?

Rob Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas, NV