Collard & Collard

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Mon, 10 Dec 2001 11:52:32 EST

To our British friends

I just looked at a Collard & Collard grand. A beautiful burled light walnut,
with porcelain castes. I have a question about the exact age.

There are two serial numbers. On the treble end, embossed in the pin block,
is the serial number 10649. According to Pearce, that makes this a late 1820'
piano. On the bass end is a handwritten serial number on the plate. 9381 (and
then something else). If I took the 9381, it would make this an early 1820'
piano. If I took that ???? and made it part of the serial number, it would
make this an 1870's piano.

Question. Did Collard & Collard make 6' grand pianos in the 1820's. It is
overstrung, with two pedals. The pins are square, and the action is the older
kind. (I am sure there is name for it, but I can't remember it. I have seen
this kind of action before. It is very difficult to regulate).

Any help will be appreciated.

Wim
Willem Blees
University of Alabama