soundboard vs string

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Sun, 09 Dec 2001 22:52:02 -0600

>> This wave is longitudinal in that it travels along the wire
>
>is not correct. The wave is transverse

Which is what I said. I said it is a transverse wave, and is longitudinal
only in that it travels along the wire.

>Those terms have very precise meanings and must be used correctly.
>The fact that it travels along the wire is expressed by calling it (what
>else) a travelling wave, but it is a travelling transverse wave. Not to
>keep suggesting Dan Russell site, but it's got some very good
>illustrations. Take a look at:
>
> http://www.kettering.edu/~drussell/Demos/superposition/superposition.html

I did, thank you, and I also looked at
http://www.gmi.edu/~drussell/Demos/waves/wavemotion.html
which you also suggested, and which indicates that your "traveling wave" is
called a transverse wave, as I said. Go there yourself and look for the
animation labeled "Transverse Waves". It's not awfully difficult to locate
on the page and you might find it educational. These terms have very
precise meanings, you know, and must be used correctly.

Ron N