double-wound strings

John Delacour JD@Pianomaker.co.uk
Sun, 9 Dec 2001 15:45:55 +0000

At 11:06 AM +1100 12/9/01, Ron Overs wrote:

>Indeed Ron, there's nothing like reducing a 1.4 mm typical lowest
>note core wire (on say a 185 cm grand) down to 2.25 mm [typo:  1.25
>= mwg 22.5 JD ] and double covering it, often with more copper mass
>to further lower inharmonicity and and improve what I would describe
>as an 'openness' of tone (on that same 185 cm grand). It will also
>move the % break up to improve tuning stability of a bass singles.
>Furthermore, the smaller core wire will make the back scale act as
>if its longer, on account of the reduced stiffness of the back scale
>wire segment. This can be a real plus when working on short pianos
>with a 100 mm back scale bass.

Yes, this sounds very similar to my thoughts on the question as
regards the 6' piano, which is a sort of "transitional size".  It's
interesting that Bechstein's Model A (185 cm. post 1900) was the
point where Bechstein opted for 12 d/c and broke away from the
religion.  Blüthner goes much further; whereas Bechstein has
originally

A1 131.1 cm.  23.5 + 65/185

the Blüthner Styles 5 and 7  (5'10" and 6'3") have something like

A1 125.8 cm.  20 + 80/175

A1 138.7 cm.  20 + 80/170

On their very acceptable Style 4 5' grand, A1 is on a #18.5 core and
the gauge numbers actually get thinner towards the bass.  Blüthner
was an extremist.

>  Even when rescaling a D, we reduce the 1.7 mm diameter core to 1.5
>mm and increase the copper mass somewhat, the tone is to more
>pleasing to my ear.

When it comes to concert pianos, there are special factors.  On a D,
I reduce the core to 26, and not 25, and also add a bit more copper
as you do.  When I attended the inaugural concert in Wales for the
first Stuart piano in the Western Hemisphere, I was more impressed
with the inability of his great long bass to make itself heard in the
hall and the general feeling that I was listening to an extremely old
Bechstein, than I was by his very airy-fairy pre-concert lecture in
which he demonstrated the ability of the piano to sustain and
complained that "all the sound in a Steinway goes to the middle",
whatever he meant by that.  When I questioned him closely about his
aims in the design of the bass, he was at a loss to find anything
useful to say at all.  Sustaining power and the ability to separate
each note from the others in the sound soup instead of sending them
all "to the middle"  seemed to be his selling points.  When after he
concert I spoke to the pianist and mentioned that from where I sat
the bass was very faint, I was told they had had to change the
planned program because of the hall's acoustics, which absorbed the
bass.  A friend of mine who regularly plays in the hall had not heard
about this.

It's hard to make the bass of a concert grand "unpleasing to the
ear", unless you're Bösendorfer of course, but it is certainly
important that the piano should be audible in staccato and legato
playing throughout the range and that the attack and the low partials
should be optimized.

>I suspect a great majority of manufacturers choose to single cover
>the singles for cost savings.

I doubt it nowadays.  The cost of copper is very low and it takes
less than a minute longer to make a d/c string than a s/c.  In the
past, the ratio of material costs to labour costs was very different
and the "weight" of the strings was a factor for unscrupulous makers,
at least in England.  However, this never led to the use of s/c
strings rather than d/c.  I think it's more a question of the
increased importance of the extremes of the scale as music moved from
the classical age through to the Liszt/Busoni age and people began to
see that these notes were actually being used by a few players and
needed to sound purer.

JD