double-wound strings

Erwinspiano@AOL.COM Erwinspiano@AOL.COM
Sat, 8 Dec 2001 20:25:56 EST

In a message dated 12/8/2001 3:16:15 PM Pacific Standard Time,
RNossaman@KSCABLE.com writes:

> Doesn't the S&S M have all single wound strings? I spec double wound on all
> monochords with rescaling. I like them to be able to flex.
>
> Ron N

         All Stwy models are single coat copper mono-chords. Not in my
rebuilds either. I like the fatter more balanced sound of the double wrapped
string.
    The single wraps in the under six ft. stwys is dreadful sounding. I have
even experimented with double wrapping the first two bichords as they get
kinda stiff too. It's a good sound. It's not something I've done for a while
though.
  Dale Erwin