Sound waves

Ritchiepiano@AOL.COM Ritchiepiano@AOL.COM
Sat, 8 Dec 2001 17:04:25 EST

In a message dated 12/8/01 4:36:21 PM Eastern Standard Time,
owner-pianotech-digest@ptg.org writes:

<<
 The movement of the soundboard that creates the compresson and refraction of
 air molecules is not an internal compression wave. It is the physical
 up-and-down movement of the soundboard panel in response to the vibrating
 string that does that.
  >>Del

Some years ago Don Gibbs took a section of soundboard panel
secured at the ends, and used an tone generator and a speaker to
put the panel in motion. With the use of a strobe light the physical
motion of the panel was easily visible. Of course it was not loaded
in any fashion, but changes in frequency would change the oscillations.
He stated that the test didn't really prove anything, I think we know
the board is moving air, but it was quite interesting to see.
Mark Ritchie