bamboo

Phil Bondi tito@PhilBondi.com
Sat, 8 Dec 2001 15:31:32 -0500

Ron, I love you like a brother, but I don't want you to speculate in this
case..not that I think you're wrong in your thinking..I am looking to find
out why. I have a problem with your theory of 'profit'..perhaps using bamboo
hasn't been thought of until recently? I don't know. I'm sure it would take
a whole lot of re-tooling in the factories to make it work, and THAT makes
it unprofitable..at least at first..maybe it's not an issue and we're making
it one..I'm just learning about it, but if anyone has worked with it, I for
one would most certainly like to hear all the details.

I was in the plastics field for a good amount of years, and while it has no
musical producing properties like wood, I feel it does have its place in a
piano action. The plastic elbows that we've all come to know and love were
made at a time when plastics were still in the infant stage, and didn't have
any of the tensil strength of today's plastics. The manufacturers of those
particular pianos were looking forward, even though the product(plastic)
itself wasn't particuarly good. I use to frown on an elbow job..now I look
forward to doing them(..don't worry..i'll be ok in a few minutes!) and
admiring the forward thinking of those responsible. I haven't met up with
any teflon bushings yet, but when I do, I'm sure I'll feel the same way.

Call me naive, but I feel there's alot of good intention in the instruments
that we service..there's some questionable quality control (right Tom?), but
it's the same in any field.

Phil