bamboo

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Sat, 08 Dec 2001 11:16:29 -0600

>ok..i'll bite.
>
>If bamboo is so wonderful, and renewable, then why haven't we seen it in
>mass production?
>
>It's been around a whole lot longer than plastics or teflon...right?
>
>..or..is it out there and this rook hasn't seen it yet?
>
>Phil

Could it be that it's easier and more lucrative to log out existing forests
that didn't cost anyone a nickle to produce originally? Could it be that a
whole lot of expensive lumber of just about any dimension you might need
can be cut from a big tree without the necessity of having to expensively
laminate smaller sections to build up the size needed? Could it be that
managing a renewable resource is considerably more inconvenient and costly
than just clearing out existing resources at a rate hundreds (or thousands)
of times more rapidly than the natural replenishment rate.

Could it be, in a word... profit?

Ron N