Backlengths

Phillip L Ford fordpiano@lycos.com
Sat, 08 Dec 2001 15:09:24 0000

On Sat, 08 Dec 2001 08:50:00
 Ron Nossaman wrote:

>From a soundboard restriction standpoint, anything longer then the speaking
>length is useless, obviously.

Yes, now that you mention it, it is obvious but I must
admit (sheepishly) that I didn't think of it.  So, there
at least is an upper limit for Richard's experiment.  He
only needs to explore lengths between zero and speaking
length.

>The longer the back scale is, the more likely
>it will be to make noise, especially in the more flexible areas of the
>soundboard like the mid to low tenor. Hence the string braid.

True.  But if it markedly improves the performance of the
speaking length this might be a price that you're willing
to pay.  After all, there's always stringing braid.

> Of course,
>I've seen many a factory installed tuned rear duplex bar in (factory)
>braided off sections of the tenor. Very confusing. If it's there, it should
>be tuned, right? Isn't that the mantra?
>
>Ron N

Yes, I've seen this too.  Curious.  It does seem to be at
odds with the mantra.  I'm sure someone on the list will
enlighten us (at length) about why this feature is improving
the tone.

Phil F