Uneven basstring diameter

Sat, 8 Dec 2001 02:32:00 +0100

I'm currently working with an old swedish (Europe, for everyone that is not
that into geography ;) grand piano from 1909. Its 230cm long and has got
singlewinded copperstrings all the way. The strings is most likely original,
since it has never been rebuilt and still got the original tuningpins

Is it normal that you see stretching effects as big as 0.15mm with that old
strings? The change in diameter is really even throughout each and every
string. Thats why I'm suspecting something else than just stretching over
time, but I dont have a clue really ;)

Please let me know what you think, because the stringmakers here doesnt want
you to send your complete set down to them for duplicating. They want a fax
with all the numbers. The thing is that I dont know what numbers to give
them ;)

weio,
Daniel Lindholm Leksand / Sweden