Backlengths

Fri, 07 Dec 2001 23:17:19 +0100

Ran into a brand smacking new Sauter grand today... brighter
then I remember them being... been a while since one of
these was on my schedule. Nice sounding thing really...
clean bass with no real inharmonicity problems / puzzles.

There was this strange bi-sound (for lack of a better term)
when playing a few notes hard in the temperament range...
sounded sort of like one of those police car sirens on the
old Pink Panther movies.. only the two frequenices had this
really fast tremolo to it... Weird affect ... but it wasnt
obnoxiously loud or anything..

But I noticed on the bass something I suppose I have seen
many times before and havent really given it much thought.
The backlenghts on the bass varied quite a bit... starting
at about 10 mm in the lowest notes and reaching perhaps 25
on the highest bass bridge note.... I suppose I shoulda
measured but I didnt... anyways theres been plenty enough
said lately about the kinds of problems with backlengths
being to short... and was wondering about the other way
around. Is there any rule of thumbs about maximum back
lenghts ? Effects caused by pushing that evnt. border ?

Just curious.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.