Soundboard grain angle

Thu, 6 Dec 2001 13:42:01 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ron Nossaman" <RNossaman@KSCABLE.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: December 06, 2001 11:34 AM
Subject: Re: Soundboard grain angle

> Phil
> Something else occurred to me about this grain angle thing and stiffness
> control. I've often heard the suggestion of putting the stiff panel planks
> in the treble, and the flexible ones in the bass. Good trick with all the
> bridges on the same few strips of wood in a "traditionally" planked panel.

It's amazing how many folks are decieved by this idea. On the surface it
sounds so logical until you follow the grain of those stiff, tight-grain
planks on down and see where they end up. It's a hard 'feature' for some to
give up on.

> With the grain running the other way as you suggested, this could be done,
> or with the grain as it usually is, those short end joined planks that Del
> mentioned could be laid up just that way.

Interesting idea I hadn't thought of. Now I wish I could go back in time and
take another look at the piano and see if there had been any attempt to do
this. I doubt it--it looked like a piano in which cost was an over-riding
issue--but still... It would have been quite easy to do.

I'm toying with the idea of putting a soundboard of this type in my Geo.
Decker just to prove a point. If I do I'll try the tight-grain
treble/loose-grain bass idea. Even though I'll be floating the bass section
it should make a great feature and who cares if it actually affects
performance in any way. Most features don't.

Del