Brinsmead Piano

John Delacour JD@Pianomaker.co.uk
Thu, 6 Dec 2001 18:55:07 +0000

--============_-1204453795==_ma============
At 6:01 PM +0000 12/6/01, Phillip L Ford wrote:
>John,
>Thanks for the overview.  A couple of questions below.
>
>On Wed, 5 Dec 2001 11:31:03
>  John Delacour wrote:
>>Brinsmead's ribs are of soundboard wood and
>>in three lengths glued together with the two outer lengths deeper
>>than the central length and possibly with the grain differently
>>disposed.
>
>Are the three pieces side by side or one on top of the other?

Something like this -- the rippled bit is the soundboard of course

>What do you mean by the trough?  The rounding on the bottom of the rib?

The space between the two side bits at the bottom.  The picture is
not properly proportioned but as I said, it's possible the rings are
horizontal in the middle length and vertical at the sides - otherwise
they could have been made in one piece.

>>  The ribs radiate from a point
>>some distance in front of the keyboard -- again not enough time to
>>calculate where.
>
>If I understand this correctly then the ribs are closer together at
>the bellyrail and getting further apart as you move toward the bass
>end.  I've never seen such a
>thing.  An interesting idea.

That's it.  I don't recall how much is dumbed off, if any.

>And which direction does the soundboard grain run?

As I recall, roughly with the long bridge.  I need to take more
detailed measurements when I get over to Cherbourg.  Come to think of
it I might do that soon.  The boats will be empty this time of year
-- says he hopefully, forgetting the booze trippers.

JD

An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: brinsrib.gif