Cleaning Brass

Jon Page jonpage@mediaone.net
Wed, 05 Dec 2001 09:43:08 -0500

At 09:17 AM 12/5/2001 -0500, you wrote:
> > From: Clyde Hollinger <cedel@supernet.com>
> > Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2001 07:01:48 -0500
> > To: pianotech@ptg.org
> > Subject: Re: Cleaning Brass
> >
> > Roger and list,
> >
> > Now that my tuning time keeps getting less, I keep looking at those
> tarnished
> > pedals and thinking, "Wouldn't it be a nice little freebee to clean them
> > up?".  I've wished for something clean, fast, and easy.
> >
> > Anyone already do this routinely?  What have you found to work
> best?  Tarn X
> > sounds like it could be fast and easy, although it would have to be applied
> > with a brush and could be messy.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Clyde

Cleaning pedals can be a most tedious task. If your want to fill up the
time,  spend it
on damper timing, letoff, lost motion, voicing, etc...

The only 'quick' way to clean pedals is with 400 grit sand paper, steel
wool and wax.
This leaves a polished satin patina.  Don't attempt high gloss without a
buffer.

I'd rather discount the price that labor over cosmetics.

Regards,

Jon Page,   piano technician
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.
mailto:jonpage@mediaone.net