Not enough dampers

Brian Trout grandrestorations@yahoo.com
Wed, 5 Dec 2001 05:27:46 -0800 (PST)

Hi Phil,

If it is indeed the speaking lengths of the upper
unmuted strings that is ringing on, there's not
much to be done except adding dampers (possible
perhaps, but not likely practical).

It is possible that a set of poorly working bass
dampers can give a similar effect by excessively
bleeding overtones.

Another possibility would be waste lengths that
are speaking.  Some piano makers don't bother to
mute off anything in their upright pianos leaving
the lengths between tuning pin and the first
bearing point open, the front duplex area open,
and the rear duplex area open.  And when you add
that all up, that's a lot of open string to be
jangling away unchecked.

I think if it was me, I'd start with doing my
best to make sure the dampers that are there work
as well as they can.  (Adding some mass to them
may or may not be helpful, especially in the
bass.) Then I'd have at it with a roll of string
braid or similar acting substance of choice.
After that, it gets more complicated, whether
it's finding a better piano, or altering this
one.

Good luck,

Brian T.

=====