A Business Question

Brian Lawson, RPT lawsonic@global.co.za
Wed, 5 Dec 2001 14:33:33 +0200

Interestingly enough I've just gone this way, I had a business cheque
account which had everything going on, in and out - a bit of a mess to
follow - poor accountant.  With the advent of internet banking taking off in
this country I now have two other accounts, one for me and another for tax
etc. these other two are bank accounts on the internet and no actual real
branch to meet real people. Doing this makes bank charges a lot less, which
in this country (South Africa) is a bone of contention.
I pay into the business account and transfer out to the other two. The
internet statements download into computer software.

Brian

BTW as I sat and wrote this in the middle of the afternoon I wonder how many
others are at home checking the email inbetween doing the piano work at
home.

----- Original Message -----
From: Phil Bondi
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Sent: 05 December, 2001 11:51 AM
Subject: Re: A Business Question

Tom, there is a God when I agree with Willem Blees word-for-word(Hi
pal!)..actually, I will go him one better:

He, and Clyde, suggested having 2 checking accounts..and you really must..I
have 3. Why? - 30% of my income goes into my 'tax' account' to pay Quarterly
taxes, any Conference registrations, Insurances, surprises, etc. This
account actually maintains a higher balance than my personal account, and I
personally like that. I think of it as a Business/Personal safety net
account. This was suggested by my accountant many years ago, and it wasn't
until this year that I actually started doing it. I wish I would have
started it many years ago.

If you're really good at accounting for the things that I have seperately in
this account, then it is not necessary. The sad truth is most of us are not
ready for the surprises, and that's what this account is set up to do.

I would also suggest getting yourself an accountant that is a CPA. It may
cost you a little more to retain their services, but what that person will
save you in money and agony is well worth the price.

Be a redundant recoed keeper and get yourself a good CPA. You'll be fine.

Phil