Negative bearing (long)

Tue, 4 Dec 2001 08:07:58 -0800

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Richard Brekne=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: December 04, 2001 7:42 AM
  Subject: Re: Negative bearing (long)

  Richard Brekne wrote:=20
    :)... got your second note on this and thankyou for it. As I =
understand it, you disagree with Wogram about the predicatility of the =
change after loading, hence modal analysis on an unloaded board is not =
usefull. Secondly the process of executing an analysis on a loaded board =
is so costly that its largely not practical. Is this correct ?=20
Well, you have to define 'costly' in perspective. For me to do this =
right now without a paying client, yes. I would be very costly. For a =
company grossing $175,000,000 per year? No. That company should have an =
R&D budget more than adequate to afford this kind of research. Consider =
how many cars are totalled and/or tested to death before a new model =
comes out. Every thriving industry supports research and development of =
some kind. Only industries planning on becoming obsolete do nothing.

  I would like to know your reasoning for disagreeing with Wogram, tho.  =
It would be good for me to re-read the article again with your thoughts =
in mind.=20

As I said, "I don't know enough of the details of his work to have even =
the vaguest notion of what all might be different."  My experience =
indicates there are enough differences to be significant to one =
attempting to design, or redesign, a soundboard.

Del