Bass strings changing scale

Ron Overs sec@overspianos.com.au
Tue, 4 Dec 2001 08:47:05 +1100

JD wrote:

>>If these are not trade secrets, I for one would love to have a
>>spreadsheet doc of one of your scales.
>

>... and got no responses.  You both make claims for the method and
>then refuse to give any worked example or clear explanation.  I
>asked the questions because I want to know more.

Try asking nicely in future, it very often achieves the desired result.

>Theodore Steinway licked his finger, held it to the wind and capped
>the bridge at the treble with box,

Which is prone to splitting. Which is why Steinway themselves are now
using maple for the treble caps (and they a quarter cutting it at
last).

>decades before the word impedance existed and probably a century
>before it migrated to acoustics.  You now suggest that there is a
>formula that would have made that design choice more predictable.

Yes! Silly aren't we?

>Well, I'm interested and I want to know how that formula or at least
>the guiding principle is applied.  I began by expressing interest
>and my scepticism grew as any practical explanation failed to appear.

. . . and by writing in such a manner as to suggest that we are
perhaps amongst the world's most stupid, while you on the other hand
would appear to be amongst the most enlightened. It is hardly
surprising that information has not been forthcoming.

Ron O.
--
Overs Pianos
Sydney Australia