Negative bearing (long)

Mon, 03 Dec 2001 21:04:34 +0100

Delwin D Fandrich wrote:

> The understanding of soundboard function has moved a bit beyond the purely
> empirical--even beyond 90% empirical--though certainly not to the stage of
> pure science either. Still, techniques such as modal analysis have enabled
> the study of soundboard function at a level not even dreamed of even thirty
> or forty years ago. It is my hope that before I pass from the scene that
> this understanding will be still some closer to scientific and much less
> reliant on the empirical.
>
> Del

Been reading and weeding through and find much that is interesting, but this
comment caught my eye and I must admit is confusing. I wrote about modal
analysis a year and a half back and you came out and said it was basically
useless in designing soundboards, since the conditions for measurement are
different then the conditions for full strung, and if done full strung well the
deed is already done so to speak... further you pointed out then that you meant
that there was no reliable way of forcasting said changes.

>From the fall of 1999  where we were in a disscussion about impedance matching,
and the usefullness of modal analysis came up I submit the following three
posts.