Flatstrung vs straightstrung

Mon, 3 Dec 2001 09:28:24 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stephen Birkett" <birketts@wright.aps.uoguelph.ca>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: December 02, 2001 9:13 AM
Subject: Re: Flatstrung vs straightstrung

> It's a bit of a moot point really. Straight-strung is one of those terms
> that has stuck and we have to live with. If it comes down to it
> "cross-strung" isn't really the most descriptive for the modern-type of
> stringband arrangement, but there is the better alternative for that -
> over-strung.

I know, Stephen, I know. I realize I'm probably not going to change much,
but for myself I can at least try to use words that are more accurate and
descriptive.

> In point of fact very few so-called straight-strung pianos actually have
> parallel stringing throughout the stringband. The norm even for 5-octave
> 18th Century pianos was to angle the bass strings in at the bridge end,
> causing a compressed stringband for an octave or so. Historical makers
> were quite aware of the need to maintain board flexibility and to keep
> the bridge away from the rim.

The only piano I've come across that was truly 'straight-strung' was a
Broadwood from whenever. All the other flat-strung pianos I've encountered
have angled their strings toward the right some.

Del