tuning octaves using partials

Mon, 03 Dec 2001 16:11:19 +0100

Newton Hunt wrote:

> > Gary Mc wrote:
> >
> > How do I know if I'm tuning a 2:1, 4:2, or 6:3 octave? And why are
> > they used in different places.  How do I know when to use which one?
> > Sorry to be so elementary, but I know the terms and what they mean.  I
> > just don't know when to use one in place of another.
> > (I may know this, but I just don't know if I know it!)
> > Thanks for any advice
> > Gary McCormick

Gary... Get a hold of the home office and buy a book by Rick Baldersin
called "On Pitch". This explains Octave types and other interval types
really well and you can use it as a handy resource for re-reading and
further study.

The book only costs about 25 dollars and is easy reading. You will never
regret getting it. You will find it much easier to relate to then the notes
we can mangage to jot down for you... valuable tho as they are. I think
after you read through and begin to get a handle on these terms the answers
you get from this list will make much more sense to you.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.