Bass strings changing scale

John Delacour JD@Pianomaker.co.uk
Sun, 2 Dec 2001 22:09:50 +0000

At 3:06 PM -0600 12/2/01, Ron Nossaman wrote:

>I'm still considering it John, but since I don't seem to possess any
>information you consider useful or interesting, much less valid, I'm
>seriously wondering why I would want to waste the time. You can incorporate
>this mystical formula in your own scaling spreadsheet and validate it's
>obvious uselessness for yourself quite quickly and easily without my help.

I find it interesting that as soon as I ask some self-professed
knowledgeable folk on this list to justify with solid explanations
and practical examples the unclear or plausible statements they make,
I am met either with silence or with ungracious back-offs or plain
sulks and insults.  Twice in a day it gets tiresome.

You talked of "blending impedance".  I asked perfectly civilly, as
did another, what this meant, and gave you an opportunity to show how
you would apply a received formula to a particular case.  You first
provide a very equivocal assessment of the formula without any
further explanation and then when asked how you apply it, you resort
to pained language as though I'd offended you.

Since you are so keen on declarative technology, for once you can
justify just one of your theories.  From the little you have revealed
of your treatment of the bass scale  previously I have gathered that
it is probably unmatched in the history of the past 150 years and
wonder why some talented and genial maker has not by chance hit upon
anything remotely similar in all of their years of experimentation,
but now I am giving you the chance to show me that I've got the wrong
end of the stick and that your bass scalings are what we've all been
waiting for.

When I make a declaration on this list, I expect to be called upon to
explain it and justify it, and that's what I do, sometimes with sines
and cosines and sometimes without, because a lot of people don't like
those things and the plain earthy language of the pianomaker is often
adequate.  If I publish an error or declare a falsehood, I hope to
have the grace to acknowledge it with good humour because we all talk
a fair amount of crap from time to time.

I'm here to learn as well as to share some of the knowledge I've
gathered over 25 years restoring pianos and I don't set myself up as
anybody's guru.

JD