Bass strings changing scale

John Delacour JD@Pianomaker.co.uk
Sun, 2 Dec 2001 19:34:41 +0000

At 10:41 AM -0600 12/2/01, Ron Nossaman wrote:
>  >Ron,
>>What do you mean by blending impedance?
>>
>  >Phil
>
>This is referring to the Conklin formula I posted (or something similar)
>that gives you a relative approximation of the power/loudness/energy a
>string will supply. Just like we try to avoid big jumps in tension and
>inharmonicity across transitions from monochord to bichord to trichord,
>from wrapped to plain, and from bridge to bridge, we don't want audible
>volume differences at these transitions either. The impedance formula
>attempts to give us a means to anticipate the approximate power levels
>across these transitions so we can blend them inaudibly - in theory. It's
>far from perfect, but it's a whole lot better than nothing. The soundboard,
>rib scale, and bridge configuration naturally limits what you can do with
>string scaling.

Forgive me for being sceptical, Ron, but this is sounding more and
more like a black art.  First it is the Conklin formula, take it or
leave it, and then it is something similar which gives an
approximation -- in theory and is far from perfect but better than
nothing.

I've been using nothing and a bit of common sense for many years and
the results sound a hell of a lot more reliable!

I hope you'll answer the questions in my last message and let me see
how this theory turns out in a real bass scale so that I can moderate
my lack of enthusiasm.  Then perhaps we can discover how Conklin
arrived at this imperfect mantra.

log JD sin delta ^ 0.2g