Negative bearing

John Delacour JD@Pianomaker.co.uk
Sun, 2 Dec 2001 17:55:25 +0000

At 12:46 AM -0500 12/2/01, Greg Newell wrote:

>     What was the effect of the floating soundboard across the
>bottom? I've often
>wondered why it's necessary to lock it down everywhere. Has anyone
>ever explored
>a different material joining the soundboard to the rim? I'm thinking of cone
>type stereo speakers where there is a foam rubber of sorts joining the cone
>shaped paper element to the stiffer steel frame. It seems to me that there are
>some parallels here. Probably the tapering of a soundboard is the closest I've
>heard to this.

Greg, there is very little resemblance between the way a soundboard
works and the way a loudspeaker works.  The cone of the speaker is
light and stiff and ideally perfectly free to respond to the impulses
from the solenoid.  It is in no way a medium for the transmission and
amplification of a sound but a simply a plunger for compressing and
rarefying air following the dictates of the solenoid.

The soundboard of the "modern" piano, besides acting partly as a
plunger, has to respond to over 200 separate complex signals from
different places arriving at different points through various media.
It is restricted from responding to these signals as a plunger by a
huge downward force on it up against which it is pressing with an
equal force by dint of its crown and its inability to spread, so that
the whole system is in equilibrium with the board in a state of
compression, ideally at some point below the point at which the
weakest of the summer growth gives up the fight and the board shears
(compression marks).  For all this to be possible it is essential
that the board be fixed for at least most of its perimeter to a
massive and unyielding structure, which is the framing and specially
the inner and outer rim.

Sound travels IN the board and not just out from the top and bottom
of it.  A material needs to be used that will carry sound rapidly
through the medium.  The winter growth of the fir or spruce
soundboard carries the waves fast along the length of the boards and
owing to the slower and less efficient movement of the waves across
the grain, the board is crossed by bars which transmit fast and also
compensate for the increased flexibility of the board across the
grain.  The waves are reflected in all directions through the board
from the rigidly held perimeter.  I see Ron Overs uses laminae of
spruce to achieve uniform propagation of the sound.  Properly
disposed ribs have done the job pretty well for a long while.

That's a very rough description of some what happens, at least enough
to show that a soundboard and a cardboard cone behave very
differently.

As to freeing up parts of the perimeter of the board for certain
tonal reasons (or questions of impedance as some might have it) there
are numerous examples of this throughout the history of the piano --
in fact Cristofori's soundboard was not attached at all to the rim,
but that was not what we'd call a modern piano.  In most
straight-strung grands and early overstrungs you will find the edge
of the board detached from the rim for a length of a foot or so and
provided with a lath of maple or beech for firmness.  This frees up
the board to respond better to the low notes on the bass bridge
which, or whose apron, is fixed quite near the rim.  In my experience
the effect of this is wholly successful.  Quite a few uprights have
the board freed up along the bottom.  None of these expedients is
designed to reduce the overall firmness of the structure but to apply
topical variations to the stiffness of the structure.  I'd guess that
90% of all such work is empirical and that 100 faculties working for
ten years would probably produce no better science.

An interesting extreme case is the old Bösendorfer Viennese grand.  I
had one of these for a while.  It was barely 5'6" long and was
terrifically powerful.  The soundboard on these pianos has a very
pronounced arch and the front of the board, instead of being glued to
the damm, is held in a shallow arch by a length of maple perhaps
about 1 cm thick and 6 cm broad -- I forget...it's a long while since
I burned it!

Differential thicknessing of boards has been common for many years --
I think Dolge mentions his having invented the first thicknesser to
do this.  With an overhead belt sander it is possible to get whatever
variation you need without the expense of special machinery.

JD