Negative bearing

Greg Newell gnewell@ameritech.net
Sun, 02 Dec 2001 00:46:08 -0500

Del,
    My thanks to you and Ron for somewhat demystifying this for me. No
substitute for getting your hand dirty and doing a few but I'll get there
eventually. I'm still working on obtaining usable shop space. For now though
it's good to gain some understanding of what I'm hearing in the field.
    What was the effect of the floating soundboard across the bottom? I've often
wondered why it's necessary to lock it down everywhere. Has anyone ever explored
a different material joining the soundboard to the rim? I'm thinking of cone
type stereo speakers where there is a foam rubber of sorts joining the cone
shaped paper element to the stiffer steel frame. It seems to me that there are
some parallels here. Probably the tapering of a soundboard is the closest I've
heard to this.
    Since I've broached the subject of tapering I'd like to ask if there are
advantages to tapering in some areas and not in others. I understand that it is
desirable to have a stiffer board in the treble than in the bass. Has any
attempt been made to make the taper gradual from, say, one end of the long
bridge to the other? OK, now about the long bridge. Should the long bridge
accurately and strictly follow the rim shape throughout it's length? Could one
move the long bridge gradually in more toward the center of the board toward the
tenor end  as a replacement for (or compliment to) a gradual thinning of the
board toward the same end of the long bridge?
    If the previous is done would it then become impossible to have the low end
of the treble bridge and the bass bridge be roughly the same distance from the
edge of the board? I believe I understand that if they are not relatively the
same distance from the edge of the board that an impedance imbalance problem
will result. I have an A.B. Chase I am delivering soon that has a low tenor
"hockey stick" with all wound strings on it. BOOM, BOOM, BOOM go all the notes
down there. Really quite unfortunate but it was here for refinishing. That
portion of the bridge is curled inward toward the center of the board (where
else would it go?) and is quite a bit farther in than the bass bridge. The
transition is astounding! And not in a good way. Any thoughts? Or am I just
stating what you guys have seen for years?

Greg

Greg

--
Greg Newell