wet hammers

Fri, 31 Aug 2001 12:46:47 -0700

I believe it was tea.   The piano is "newish" and the hammers do not =
produce a nice sound even when dry.  But, economics is the issue and I =
they clearly understand the limitations of any attempt at repair.  I =
little water can help the horrible brashness that these hammers produce, =
unfortunately, they had a bit too much to drink. =20

David Love=20
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Delwin D Fandrich=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: August 31, 2001 11:37 AM
  Subject: Re: wet hammers

  David,

  Just how old is the K&C? If it's an old upright the hammers probably =
needed to be replaced anyway and if it's a new upright the hammers =
probably needed to be replaced anyway.=20

  Just why is the customer 'understandably' reluctant to replace the =
hammers. If it is a financial reluctance, I understand. Otherwise, this =
is a fairly basic repair procedure these days and, depending on the =
nature of the liquid that got in there, will probably be the most =
reliable solution.

  Before trying to do any hardening, you probably should do what you can =
to clean out whatever goop is in there by finding an appropriate solvent =
and 'washing' the stuff out, but even if it the liquid was pure water =
some permanent changes to the hammer's structure will have taken place. =
(In the case of a new K&C, this may actually be an improvement.)

  If you do end up trying to clean the stuff out, be sure to cover you =
backsides by explaining that the voice of the piano may never be uniform =
across this area again.=20

  Del
    ----- Original Message -----=20