referall fees; 101 :)

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Fri, 31 Aug 2001 11:28:19 EDT

In a message dated 31/08/01 9:02:31 AM, tompiano@gate.net writes:

<< But since the 20% is going not for work provided, other than

their contact with the customer, your 20% you have paid is a referral fee.

In fact it sounds as though you might even doing a quasai partnership with

the techs. >>

For the 20% I expect the tech to:
acquire the customer.
complete the estimate.
check current pricing.
have contract signed.
coordinate moving and 'be there' when the piano is picked up.
coordinate delivery and 'be there' when the piano is delivered.
provide all after delivery services, i.e. tuning after 30 days, follow-on
touch up regulation and tuning at 60 to 90 days.
 In addition the tech is to provide all warranty services for the warranty
period (an exception to this is 'major' warranty work...an example would be
many loose pins in the pinblock :-(...any major warranty work would be
negotiable between us but 'I' retain full 'responsibility'.)

 So my expectations of the prime tech are much deeper than just "contact"
with the client.
As to the "quasi partnership" possibly but........ as 'I' take 'full'
responsibility for all workmanship, materials and safety of the piano I don't
really feel that it applies, though I can see your point of view.

<<"For those who have been following this thread it might sound like we are

splitting hairs, but classifications on how we determine what role we play

in a contract can make a huge difference in accountability, liability, and

for nothing more, a good, productive relationship with others.">>

 Well said.... sometimes "hairs" need to be "split" although in my pates
current state I don't have enough to worry about it too much! :-)
Beside the things you have already mentioned there are some very real, and
oftentimes rather substatial, tax  consequences. (check with your
accountant/tax advisor) these include State taxes, Corporate taxes and
Personal Income.

 The most important consideration though is your "good, productive
relationship with others." because with this in place all problems can be
solved......................

Definitions:

*sub-con-tract - n.
1. A contract that assigns some of the obligations of a prior contract to
another party.
*re-fer-ral - v.
2. To assign or attribute to; regard as originated by.
5. To direct the attention of or to...............
*part-ner-ship - n.
2.a. A legal contract entered into by two or more persons in which each
agrees to furnish a part of the capital and labor for a business enterprise,
and by which each shares a fixed proportion of profits and losses.
Jim Bryant (FL)