talcum powder!!!

Newton Hunt nhunt@optonline.net
Fri, 31 Aug 2001 09:46:45 -0400

STOP!!!!

NEVER USE SILICON ANYWHERE NEAR A PIANO!!!!!

That stuff is like a barrel of BBs dropped from the rafters of a warehouse.
They will be EVERYWHERE.

Silicon is NOT a lubricant but a strain reliever and it gets into EVERYTHING.
When it gets under keytops they come off.  Tuning pins it will not stay, action
center are not lubricated the static friction increases and if it is on the case
you cannot refinish the piano.

This stuff is bad news BIG time and you are responsible.  It is the best way I
can think of for killing pianos.

THere is a lot better stuff around for these purposes that are proven safe.
Silicon is NOT safe to use.  It is far worse than graphite.

Clean out as much of that "stuff" as you can and use protek one or two times.  I
also would take out the action and blow it out outside to get the mystery powder
out.  It may be talc and it may not be and it certainly will not improve
performance, nor will it impede it.

		Newton