Upright Damper Replacement

jolly roger baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Thu, 30 Aug 2001 20:38:47 -0500

Hi Terry,
              For verticals we modify the system to accept Yamaha U3
dampers.    The bass is nice tri block material, enough tri cord wedges to
get up to about mid C, can't remember exactly.  ( becoming and old fuddy
duddy. <G>)    Treble dampers are double felt that is sewn.
Excellent material and really fast shut down.   Hardly any bleed, if you
add taping off the back scales.  3 over and under dampers for the tenor
transitior, if needed.  .
We order 3 sets at a time so we can mix and match, uni cords to bi cords
etc.  It will do 2 pianos.

We configure the dowel lengths to get every thing even, after running the
treble blocks thro' the band saw and adding a felt pad to glue the dowel
to.  We use a nice dollop of PVC-E glue to form a collar around the around
the dowel.  The felt pad gives a little hinge effect and helps settle the
damper quickly..

Before starting it is important to rebush the hanger bushings and align the
hangers to get even lift, and equal and even distance of the damper wire
from the string.
We also change the damper rod felt on the damper levers.

The difference it makes to the old Heintzman 52" pianos is like night and
day.  Do lots of measuring and double checking,  before cutting.   Ops how
do I know?  I will never tell.

Have fun.

Roger