Appearance

John Musselwhite john@musselwhite.com
Mon, 27 Aug 2001 12:54:14 -0600

At 08:49 AM 8/25/01 -0500, John Formsma wrote:

>It depends on the area in which you are located. New York City has much
>different standards than Podunkville, MS. I wear khakis and polos, and have
>considered getting polos with my logo on them.

Here in Calgary, a rather casual city where the weather is cool (or damned
cold!) for 9 months of the year, I still like to wear flannel dress pants
that I keep neatly pressed and a dress shirt and tie along with a blue
blazer. I've always liked to wear a nice necktie and I make sure my collars
fit so that isn't a problem for me. I realize that others detest them, but
I've worn everything from hand-knotted bow ties to cravats in my life and
I'm comfortable in them. In the warmer months it's khakis or cargo pants
and a short-sleeved dress shirt and I generally forego the tie and blazer
if it's a warm day.  Even though this is Cowtown and I could probably get
away with it I'll leave my jeans, Stetson and boots for after work unless I
have a "country" tuning where it's more appropriate. Even then I ensure
that my Wranglers are newish and neatly pressed and my boots are polished.

Sometimes I'll wear a suit with a jacket and tie if that's appropriate for
the appointment. Two years ago I purchased a dark "Traveller" suit
impregnated with Teflon(tm) from Moore's . It's very smart, won't stain and
doesn't wrinkle easily. I facetiously call it the "Steinway Suit" because
of the Teflon.

One piece of advice about appearances that I was given a long time ago in
another life was to make sure your shoes are polished and in good condition
and wear them with newish matching socks with no holes. In many places it
is considered polite to remove your shoes at the door most of the time, and
good slip-on type shoes with clean and neat insoles and heels that you
leave nicely lined up at the door make a positive impression. In winter I
wear dress snow boots and carry little knitted booties to keep my feet warm
if they're needed. Some people who can't (or won't or shouldn't!) take
their shoes off wear little surgical booties over them, which is a nice touch.

Speaking of positive impressions, one time my Florsheims made a positive
impression on a customer's dog and I was left with mushy bits of black
leather and an uncomfortable drive back home. They were most apologetic
even though that was an expensive tuning for them.

While we're dealing with appearances, don't forget to keep your vehicle
clean and neat *inside* and out and make sure it doesn't leak oil,
antifreeze or power steering fluid (or drop pieces of bodywork!) all over
your customer's driveway or road. That's a sure way of not being asked
back! Sometimes driving an "interesting" vehicle like a Volvo or Saab
wagon, a PT Cruiser or a Beetle act as a catalyst for conversation and
"bonding" with some customers, but that may be stretching the "appearance"
point here.

If I may digress having mentioned PT Cruisers, some say the "PT" should
stand for "Piano Tuner". Well, apparently there is a new panel-truck
version that is more like a delivery van than a car, which would make it
quite practical as a service vehicle for piano tuners. If anyone sees one,
check it out!

There is one last thing I'd like to mention to a growing number of people.
I've been trying to quit smoking since April and while I've slipped the odd
time I did go over 100 days (until Reno!) without so much as a drag and now
go days without smoking. I can see why reformed smokers used to be such a
pain in the butt (as it were)! Smokers carry the smell of cigarette smoke
with them everywhere like Pig-Pen, the kid in the Peanuts comic strip with
the cloud of dust, and non-smokers don't like it. If you smoke, either
limit it severely and don't do it at all unless you can wash your hands
afterward, or do the right thing and make your best effort to quit. You may
look neat and tidy and be professional in the performance of your work, but
if you stink up the house with a cloud of stale cigarette smoke you may not
be invited back.

Don't ask how I know... but my call back cards all have "A Happy
Non-Smoker!" printed in red on them now and it's already working!

                         John

John Musselwhite, RPT    -     Calgary, Alberta Canada
http://www.musselwhite.com  http://canadianpianopage.com/calgary
mailto: john@musselwhite.com    http://www.mp3.com/fatbottom