New Hammer Butt Selection

Dale R Fox foxpiano@juno.com
Thu, 23 Aug 2001 22:10:50 -0700

Terry,
	either butt will work.  Be aware that the bore size on the Renner butt
is larger than the standard 7/32" shank available from the supply houses.
 Lloyd can get you the proper size shanks to fit at about $30 per set.
YIKES!  Seems I remember they were either 5.5 or 6mm.  Definitely larger
than 7/32".  Keep this in mind if ordering hammers pre-bored.  I do not
know for sure the bore in the Abel butts,  BUT would assume since Wally
was involved some where along the way that they are likely 7/32".

Dale Fox

On Thu, 23 Aug 2001 12:10:03 -0400 "Farrell" <mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com>
writes:
> Thanks to all for input on replacing hammer butt leather. I'm sure I
> will
> refer back to it sometime. Fortunately, the owner has decided to go
> with new
> butts and hammers. (YEAH!!!) It appears the butts on this 1895 52"
> Fisher
> upright are dimensionally very similar to the Pratt-Read butts
> available
> from most supply houses. I'm trying to get the most bang for the
> client's
> buck. Wally Brooks has a Abel butt that is made to replace the
> Pratt-Read.
> Renner also has one for the same purpose. However, the Abel has the
> traditional butt spring set up, with the springs mounted on a
> separate rail.
> The Renner butt has the spring mounted on the butt itself, much like
> many
> Asian pianos. So, it would seem to me, that the Renner might be a
> good pick
> for the same price because I would be renewing the entire hammer
> butt spring
> system without any extra labor. Has anyone used these Renner butts?
> Waddaya
> think of my logic (or illogic)? Thanks for any input.
>
> Terry Farrell

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.