S&S tuning pins...

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Wed, 22 Aug 2001 17:23:20 -0500

>As Del Fandrich so eloquently set forth just within the last week, bushings
>eventually become ineffectual anyway, and even when still tight, they only
>reduce flex (flagpoling), not torsion.

Hi Paul,
He said it was an arrangement doomed to failure, but failure at what? Phil
didn't specify that bushings would have any holding power on the pins, but
that was what Del seemed to be addressing. Has anyone actually made any
claim to the effect that bushings grip tuning pins like a pinblock and
increase torque resistance? Who? I don't recall ever reading it on list if
they did, but everyone pulls that out of the hat as the first, and so far
only condemnation of plate bushings. I wonder at all this countering of a
claim nobody seems to have made. Bushings aren't ineffectual as long as
they reduce flagpoling, which is their long term benefit to the tuner as
well as being a short term benefit to the pinblock driller as a centering
aid.

Ron N