Tuning Question

Richard Brekne rbrekne@operamail.com
Wed, 22 Aug 2001 21:17:02 +0200

22.08.2001 01:27:37, Newton Hunt <nhunt@optonline.net> wrote:

>Hi Richard,
>
>The minor third inverted into a major sixth is a valid test of an octave at and
>below the temperament because it reflects the 6:3 octave.  But, the minor sixth
>should be slower than the sixth.
>
>Example: C2-Eb2 minor third and Eb2- C3 major sixth the minor third should be
>faster to expand the octave at the 6:3.

Not exactly what I was talking about Newton. By way of example take C2-Eb2 minor third and C2-A3 major sixth. In this comparison the minor third should be faster then
the major sixth... or what ?. And my question was ....is every such comparision of a minor third / major sixth taken from the same note the same... (m3rd faster then
M6th) ?

I have fooled around a bit with this today too.... seems to work really neat.. and easy to hear. Just pull up the note til the minor third above it beats just a tad faster then
its major 6th above. Run this quickly chromatically to the bottom and go back and check Major 3rds and 10ths and other test intervals. Each time so far its put me really
nicely in range.. Just wondered if this could be treated sort of universally true in the sense we do contiguous 3rds..