Wapin bridge patent

Carl Meyer cmpiano@home.com
Tue, 21 Aug 2001 18:42:42 -0700

Robert Scott wrote:

> The whole purpose of a patent is to reward inventors for disclosing
> the details that they might otherwise choose to keep secret>

As I understand it, Benjamin Franklin formed the patent system (then a
committee in congress).  His goal was to protect the farmer and rancher from
large companies that would steal their ideas and not pay royalties.

Like most good intentions that produce unintended consequences, we now have
a patent system that is used by the large companies and the government to
keep the little guy out.

In the Wapin case, how are the inventors rewarded?  And by whom? I submit
that the inventors are now the victims of large organizations and the
government.  The greedy patent attorneys at the U Of  C may have caused a
backlash that will doom the invention.  I could visualize piano techs
boycotting Wapin, not that it doesn't work, but for other reasons more
emotional and political.
The patent system adds to the damage by allowing costs to get out of control
and the result will be to stifle inovation because nobody but the large
companies can afford to get a patent and defend it.  Wapin then becomes a
part of the 99.999 % patents that make no money for the patentees. Sad
,isn't it?

> I'm not sure of the details of the agreement, but isn't it true that if
> you pay the one-time fee of $325 you get unlimited license to perform
> as many Wapin installations as you wish?

Didn't sound like it in the class!  If it was true, I think it would have
been stressed.

 (Plus you get the training,
> which is worth something too.)

I'll pass on the training, thanks!

 If this is indeed the case then the
> arrangement sounds quite fair to me.  Many patent licenses include a
> royalty for each individual use.

> -Robert Scott
>   Detroit-Windsor Chapter

Thanks for your interest, Robert.  I don't mean to be argumentative, but
gotta put my three cents in (inflation you know).

I guess I should be grateful this has come up.  Sure got my wheels turning.
During the last few months, I've given a lot of thought to the bridge, and
I've had several ideas that might work to circumvent Wapin, but today about
1:30 pm  I had a revelation.  I gotta sleep on it.  Tomorrow I may realize
how dumb it really is.  Till then!
Stay loose!

Carl Meyer  Assoc. PTG
Santa Clara, California