plate reaction was Re: Pitch Raising to A440.......Or Not?

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Mon, 20 Aug 2001 18:14:49 EDT

In a message dated 20/08/01 5:28:06 PM, RNossaman@KSCABLE.com writes:

<<" Ok, here's one for you. I think I've demonstrated reasonably well that

humidity swings push strings up and down bridge pins.">>
Yep, full concurrence.

<<"With a 20° pin angle

and 10° stagger, how much of the pitch increase with humidity increase is

from soundboard rise, and how much is from the fact that the string is

higher up the bridge pins and taking a longer path across the bridge

(stretching as necessary to do so)? ">>

 Trick question? :-)  Wouldn't a string be pulled 'tighter' to the bridge and
'lower' on the pin when the board swells than when the board is 'unswollen'?

<<"I'm beginning to suspect that we went through a lot of years not knowing

squat about why and how pianos go out of tune.">>

I just read a quote from Andrew Lytle that 'kinda fits'.......... ;-)
"Only the very young can live in Eden.
Innocence prolonged ignores experience;
knowledge denied becomes a stone in the head."

Stone headed Jim