Lighten Touch

thepianoarts thepianoarts@home.com
Wed, 15 Aug 2001 21:52:35 -0500

Hi Ed,

To add to what has been suggested...

What is the blow distance?  If it is more than 1 3/4", an improvment in
perceived touch-weight can be effected by getting the blow down to about 1
3/4'.
   Where is the jack sitting in relation to the knuckle core? If it is too
far back, this will add extra friction during let-off. Teflon the knuckles
specificly where the jack scrapes through during let-off. Rob it on with a
peice of leather of felt. About a one minute job.
   How is the rep spring tension? Too low, and its job of pushing the key
back up will be lessened. Low tension of the rep lever gives the impression
that the action is sluggish, because the key comes up more slowly.
   Suggestions about testing friction at the hammer shank and whippen
flange, front and balance rail are important. Are you set with your friction
reducing options for these flanges?
   Lightening the hammers is another step up the ladder, especially if these
are replacment hammers. A bit more time consuming though. Good luck finding
the problem and solution.

Dan