endorsement

Mon, 13 Aug 2001 22:59:12 -0500

At 20:03 08/13/2001 -0400, you wrote:
>Friends,
>
>I'm sure you've seen this many times if you get to tune Betsy Ross
>spinets -- a decal that says "Endorsed by the Philadelphia Orchestra."
>Does anyone have some historical data to verify this?  Can this be true
>in any way?
>
>Regards, Clyde

Anecdotal, but I remember seeing TV advertisements  for Lester in the 50s
(Philly TV).  I suspect that the Phila Orch was, as all orchestras seem to
be, in need of cash, and local piano mfg Lester wanted to advertise.

Give any orchestra a big grand (free) for the stage, and monetary support,
and they'd endorse you, too.

Metropolitan Opera endorsed Knabe, if I recall, and the little consoles
extoling that fact aren't exactly the pinnacle of the craft, either.

Conrad Hoffsommer - Decorah, Ia.  mailto:hoffsoco@luther.edu

then used against you.