Restoring old uprights

Carl Meyer cmpiano@home.com
Fri, 10 Aug 2001 21:04:16 -0700

Roy,  No need to pull the plate.  Pull the pins, hopefully they will be =
no 2 or better yet no 1.  then first make the pinblock structurally =
stable by filling holes with very thin epoxy. Slow cure type.  Epotec no =
301 is suitable and a few others.  I bought some Abatron liquid wood but =
haven't tried it yet.  I'll put an ounce in a container and check the =
viscosity, hardness and cure time etc before I will use it in a block.  =
Warming the block will assist in the capillary action and hasten the =
cure.  Now redrill and string with no 4 pins.  If the pins are large =
already then you may have to drill and plug.  I use 3/8 and make my own =
plugs with standard supply house pin block material.  Important to use =
the vortex cooler to cool the bit.  I have a pin block drilling machine =
that is much simpler than the one in the journal.  I can drill the =
complete pin block in the piano and still  put my hand on the drill.  =
Works for me.

Carl Meyer
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: RCzekay@AOL.COM=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Friday, August 10, 2001 6:14 PM
  Subject: Restoring old uprights

  I know this might sound a little far out, but is it possible to =
replace a pin=20
  block in an old upright piano without completely tearing the back =
apart?=20
  Also, over the years I have heard that there is a method that entails=20
  removing the plate and filling the pin holes with Plexiglas and =
reboring.=20
  Would appreciate hearing from anyone who is familiar with this.=20

  I have been rebuilding and restringing old players and regular =
uprights for=20
  many years for customers who want to preserve their grandparents =
pianos and=20
  pass them on to another generation with great success, but once in a =
while I=20
  run into one where oversized pins just don't do the job to my =
satisfaction,=20
  and am looking for a better solution.=20

  Replacing the pin block in a grand is pretty well cut and dried, I =
have done=20
  it many times also, but with uprights it is different story.=20

  Thanks in advance,=20

  Roy Czekay=20
  Milwaukee, WI=20