Knabe Square Grand

Clark A Sprague clarks11628@juno.com
Wed, 8 Aug 2001 19:59:46 -0400

I thought I would post this again, since there has been no replies, and I
hoped to get some word back to the folks soon!

List,     I was sent on an appraisal today, the subject being a beautiful

Knabe Square Grand piano, serial #18200.  This number was stamped on an
edge of the lid.  I am not knowledgeable about these, so I said that I
would do some research for them, to see if we could ascertain a ballpark
value.
    The case was refinished, and it appears to have also been re-pinned
and re-strung, he said about 20-30 years ago.  Whoever did it did what
looks like a credible job.  The piano is beautiful.  Plate either
re-painted or just in good appearance, no cracks that I could see in
either the plate or the soundboard.  I got under it and saw several
cracks in the keybed.
    The action had hammers sticking up, so I didn't even want to take
the time to remove the action, or risk breaking off hammers.  I would
assume that the action would need to be completely restored.  There were
damper levers way out of line (easily seen because they are on the top
side of the plate), and 3 damper lifters (?) out of their guide rail
holes, just laying on top of the plate.  The ivories were in very good
condition.
    Can anyone out there give me their opinion on what I should do for a
value, and what it would cost to restore the action?  Or maybe someone
out there is interested in purchasing this piano for restoration
purposes?  I tried to explain to them that the value of this was as a
collector's item, not so much as an instrument, but they wanted me to do
the research for them.  It is a beautiful piece, and if the number is
indeed the serial number, it is between 1875 and 1880, with the carved
legs and music desk.

Anyone responding may respond privately to: clarks11628@juno.com, or on
the list if they so desire.  Thanks to all!

Clark Sprague, RPT