Damper TouchWeight

jolly roger baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Wed, 08 Aug 2001 14:06:12 -0500

Greeting Del,
                   I just checked a new Hamilton and P22.  It takes 85gms
just to start decompressing the felt at mid C  The weights were placed on
the key slowly and carefully to take acceleration one of the equation, as
it would greatly effect the point of inertia at pick up.    So I don't
think 90gms is out of line, depending on how you placed the weights.

Damper levers are very prone to sliding friction problems as you know.  So
attention to detail with spoon and sping, along with the condition of the
felt is important.

The most common problem with verticals is damper timing and damper follow.
 Follow I like 1/8" for wound strings, and a little better than 1/16" for
the plain wire. Damper movement to start at half dip.

As a point of interest, our Yamaha digital pianos have a touch weight of
85gms from the begining of key movement. Yet pianist never complain that
they are heavy.   Go figure.  <G>
This leads me to believe that subliminally the piano player may feel damper
pick up. It is more the manner of pick up that counts.  Is it smooth? Does
the key have enough velocity so the pick up inertia is not felt. (timing)
Is there enough follow? so the decompression of felt is also helping to
mask and sudden changes in touch.

I am half way through a new series for the Journal, Understanding vertical
dampers, as a companion to my grand series.
This will also include many aspects of redesign.  ( Installing Yamaha U3
damper systems in any larger vertical.)
Now if I could only fully understand them myself.  <G>

Hope this helps.
Roger