current upright stringing scales?

Mon, 6 Aug 2001 10:21:53 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ron Overs" <sec@overspianos.com.au>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: August 03, 2001 7:11 PM
Subject: Re: current upright stringing scales?

> Del and list,
>
> >. . . . . . .
> >The Fandrich 122 had a 32 note bass section with 12 mono-chords and 20
> >bi-chords, all on the bass bridge. If there is another version of this
piano
> >it will use the same string layout--i.e., 32 unisons on the bass
bridge--but
> >will use 14 mono-chords and 18 bi-chords.
>
> I presume you meant to type "32 notes on the bass bridge" - and not
> ". . unisons . . ".

No, I meant 32 unisons. I also meant "notes." Take your pick. As applied to
the piano the words "unison" (which may be made up of one, two or three
strings) and "note" have been used more-or-less interchangeably over the
years.

One of my old mentors, Emil Fries (of Piano Hospital fame) was a real
stickler on this, correcting me several times: "Notes are those funny little
marks printers put on paper so the pianist who depends on printed music will
know which keys to press." (Emil was blind and didn't depend on printed
anything unless it was in brail.) Unisons were the groups of strings in the
piano that corresponded to those notes.

I'm not sure the definitions are quite that clear-cut. At least not to my
confused mind. I tend to switch back and forth just to confuse the
confusable.

Del