Protek & Teflon

Kevin E. Ramsey ramsey@extremezone.com
Sat, 4 Aug 2001 19:18:08 -0700

    Newton, I use drafting tape, which is similar to masking tape in look
and feel, but leaves no residue behind. Also, this is on one of the C&A
pianos which are kept in tip-top shape for artists visiting the Phoenix
area. I've never seen any discoloration on any of the strings, much less
corrosion. If someone just "had" to buy "that" piano, rest assured that I
would be the one to do the final work on it, and there would be no residue
of tape on the rear duplex when they took possesion of it. I'll have to try
the silly putty though, provided it doesn't run all over my tool kit in the
heat.
    And to the other people who have responded about the CLP on the keypins,
yes, it is highly touted as being for centerpins, but not by any stretch of
the imagination can you think that that is the only thing that it can be
used for. The front key pins are not exactly what I would consider a high
friction area of the piano, like the keybed, so I don't think that you need
to use Pro-lube on them, but hey, if it works for you, then use it.
    I used to be a great fan of McLube 444 for key pin lubing, but I heard
both of the Senior Techs at ASU tell me that they had been using it on
pianos in their care, and that after a number of months that it lost it's
effectiveness. Could be a climate thing here in Phoenix, I don't know.
Anyway, I always have CLP with me, and an applicator, and I have found it to
be an excellent long term treatment.
    I remember one customer with a new Samick where there were keys that
were "sticking". They weren't really sticking, they were just tight enough
to really slow things down too much. Sluggish, really. I only found this out
at the end of the tuning session, ( I ask about problems first thing now),
and I didn't have time to ease all her keys. So I lubed the front key pins
with CLP, applied some sparingly to the top of the balance rail pins, and
closed the piano up, thinking I'll have to maybe iron the bushings next time
if there's a problem. Turns out the problem was gone, the customer was
happy, and the problem has never come back. I've been servicing the piano
for two years now, and it still is working.
    That's my experience with the stuff, for what it's worth.

Kevin  Ramsey
ramsey@extremezone.com