Tunebidextrous

Allan L. Gilreath, RPT agilreath@mindspring.com
Fri, 3 Aug 2001 17:41:16 -0400

Dave,

Have you tried an impact hammer?  It worked for me when the ole tendonitis
kicked in.  Like you, I tune verticals left handed while being primarily
right handed (and the grands right handed).

Several years ago I cracked my left arm and had to tune verticals right
handed for a while and it went pretty well after doing a few tunings to get
the feel.

You might also check out some of the classes that have been presented by
such folks as Mitch Kiel (on impact hammers), Bonnie Swafford (who is an
RPT - the other kind, a Registered Physical Therapist), or Charlotte
Eschmann who has done quite a bit of work on pain relief in technical work.
Also, I don't have the results, but Evelyn Smith and John Foy did a survey
of injuries amongst piano technicians.

Hope this helps,

Allan
Allan L. Gilreath, RPT
Director - TEAM2002
June 26-30, 2002 - Chicago, IL
agilreath@mindspring.com
http://www.ptg.org/conv.htm
Assistant Directors: Gary Neie, RPT - Claude Harding, RPT - Joel Jones,
RPT - Laura Olsen, RPT